Sunday, January 29, 2006

So, why a yurt?
I'd like to answer, "because it came to me in a dream" but that's not true at all. In fact, the answer is really not all that interesting...
I think I first learned of a yurt watching a documentary on Mongolia. I liked the collapsible hence nomadic nature of the design. Then my friend Jason brought them up as a project idea. After looking into it, I felt it was within my ability to build one. I like projects. I was looking for a project. And so, here I am building a yurt.

I must admit I never would have gotten past the initial appetite for yurt construction had I not thought they were cool. I should probably explain why I think they're cool:

1. (I'm into lists lately)... Easy to construct
Relatively speaking I mean. It will take me some time to build one, but the whole structure consists of only about 5 major parts.

2. Simple yet strong
Yurts are super strong taking into consideration they are a free-standing structure with no weight-bearing center column. The forces from the walls, center, and roof joists all work together to create a light weight yet very sturdy design.

3. Natural materials
I could write a book about how to actually build a yurt... but other people have already done that for us. I read "The Complete Yurt Handbook." Written by a guy who builds yurts for sale in England. I hate to advertise, but if you would like to know more, Paul King provides much more info in the book. Check it out here:

http://www.woodlandyurts.co.uk/

Anyway, yeah... wood & cotton canvas for the covering.

4. People actually live in these things
The style found in 'todays' yurts has been around since at least 900 years ago, though the technology to build a yurt has been around since 2500 B.C. The design has not changed much from when Ghenghis Khan tromped around Asia (1162-1227). Evidently around 70-75% of Mongolia's population still live in yurts as their home today. Even in urban areas where the yurts are more permanent, these rotund huts are the primary shelter for many people. The romanticism of today's living tradition of Mongolian yurts is truly inspiring and probably had the greatest effect on my interest in pursuing this endeavor. (Think limbo... "How simple can you get! How simple can you get!)

"That's enough history lesson. Now why don't you tell me why you're really building a yurt." (If you know what movie I'm loosely quoting, you get a free donut paid for with the money in your wallet, on me!)

-is

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lists:

Top five albums of all time... go!

Also, I learned that "flirt" comes from the Mongolian word for, "Stand outside yurt and show boobs."

I don't know the quote... but I REALLY want a donut...

February 04, 2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home