Monday, February 20, 2006

Success!


As you can see, I have finished the base level! Also good news, I realized I did not screw the door frame up. The plans call for the door to be a little higher than the wall height. Everything works pretty well. I set it all up in about 15 minutes. The completed walls are a little bigger than I was hoping so it'll be a tight fit in my car for weekend travels, though not too big of an issue. Now that I'm thus far, my hands will rest for a few days. I purchased the wood panels to make the crown. Next week I will take advantage of a circle cutting machine at one of the high schools to start the shape of the keystone. I'm becoming a little obsessed with finishing this thing. I never thought a project would consume my attention to this extent. I think this may be because I'm beginning to see a real market for the consumer to desire a yurt. It may be a false spin my yurt world has my in, but I'm seriously wondering what it would be like to build a yurt or two or three for other people. Only time will tell...

-is

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks pretty good, Ivan... probably not rainproof yet though, huh?
dad

February 21, 2006 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you were growing up, they sold baby play yards that looked alot like your frame. We never had one for you because you probably would have figured out a way to take it apart and use the materials to build something else. Maybe we should have--it would have kept you occupied anyway. You could have been Playpen Kid instead of Yurt Man. Love, Mom

February 21, 2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger car said...

Yeah, there probably is a big market for yurts... you should come up with a logo and everything! Although, that would only take up more of your time. Just a thought!

February 22, 2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the project and the photos. There is a family up the mountain from us that have a yurt for their guest house. Fuz and I are trying to get an invite so we can stay in the yurt. I have a suggestion for the canvas covering for your yurt. yurtskurt...or hideside... or thinskin Your writing makes me smile...Nancy

February 26, 2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ivan,
About your badly burnt CD coaster idea, I, too have discovered the art of trash. I hung some wasted CD's outside because they make great rainbow mobiles(todays' hippie innovations). They also take acrylic paint nicely. When I finished them off with a toxic sealer, it dried and crackled the paint. That along with the 3-D quality of the light bouncing out from behind the paint has made some great conversation pieces, and yes, good coasters.
Rebecca(Corbin's Friend)

February 28, 2006 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't leave us hangin'... another picture please,
doug

March 08, 2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lookin' good. Would make the perfect place for me and my basset kids.

March 10, 2006 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home