Monday, February 13, 2006

Trouble for the Yurtman

My patience has been tested tonight as I made my second mistake.

The Moment of Truth:
After tying the second wall together for about two hours, I ran out of rope. Deciding to end the evening of hard work on a productive note, I began putting my tools away. I was walking towards the door to leave the garage when I took one last look at the first wall to fill in the missing piece in my mind. Looking back at the wall I just worked on, I aimed to complete the imaginary circle with the walls interlocking to finish the base level of the yurt.... Instead, I stopped in my tracks. I did a double take like you see in the movies, or a slower version of the Cheetos "CRUNCH!" cartoon commercial with the tiger character going, "aaiaaiaaiaaiaaiaai." I couldn't believe it. All that I had done for the past two hours... Two hours that had my hands cracking from dry, robe burn... Two hours that put me in such a hopeful place... Two hours that lead me in the wrong direction to end in complete humiliation and utter loss... Actually, I just dropped my head and shook it a few times with a slight smirk on my face with the realization that I'd have to do it all again.

The Problem:
Basically, for the technical people out there, I fastened the slats in the wrong direction. The way these slats were running would make it impossible for the first wall to interlock correctly. My solution!, as I always find a solution, is to completely redo the first wall. I will have to do more tying, but, two things:
1) The rope I used on the first wall is not ideal for the job. SO, I get to do it this time better than before.
2) The direction the second wall runs is actually the proper Mongol way. Traditional yurts have the slats running from bottom left to upper right. I actually started the first wall incorrectly as the slats went from bottom right to upper left. Sooooo, for those who are counting, I guess this would be my third mistake. Still not bad for never actually seeing a yurt in person, if I do say so myself...

"On the second day, he had rest." I will not fix my mistake tomorrow, as my hands need to heal. Plus, it's valentines day! I have to perfect my recipe for yurt soup for Janelle's special romantic valentine dinner!


-is

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yurt soup, huh? Sounds downright yummy and perfect to set the mood for a romantic evening of cuddling under massive fur hides. Enjoy!

February 14, 2006 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing... the yurt soup caught my eye too... but I wondered if it might have chunks of rope or horse hair in it?!

dad

February 14, 2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I guess so far you've got a short yurt and a long blog???

I just wanted to say "short yurt" and "long blog" to see how it sounds.

zippy

February 16, 2006 3:38 AM  
Blogger yurtman said...

Perfect. It sounds perfect.

February 18, 2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home