Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Yurt Talk

A while ago, during a busy yurt day, a random telemarketer called me in the garage. It turned out being the sweetest telemarketer I have ever had the pleasure to speak with. It was a short discussion. I answered on speaker phone and said, "Hello?" while I continued to tie joints. The caller started by pointing out he was calling for Star Communications. I happen to remember this name and immediately cut him off trying to be as cordial as possible "Oh! I already had a call from you guys." He had a nice voice. A soft Indian-Pakistani ring to it. He tried to continue to discuss his position while I kind of talked over him explaining that I really wasn't interested.
I worked as a telemarketer for a summer. As a result, I have no problem cutting people off as I can totally relate to their situation. While I was contacting strangers, I would have always preferred uninterested people to cut me off early.
Usually the callers respond the same way I would, they move on. I think this guy had some hope of changing my mind. He must have been convinced that his sales skills are so tuned that I would surely buy in to whatever he was selling. We spoke over one another a few more times but he finally saw I wasn't going to budge. With no hard feelings in his cute accent, he said "Ok... Have a good night sir. Sleep well. Bye-bye." I was taken aback. By the way he said "sleep well," I had no doubt I was going to have a very nice rest that night. Ironically, just before I said "Thank you" and hung up, he probably could have convinced me to buy a plunger.

-is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home