Saturday, December 01, 2007

Happy Holy-Days!

I can hardly believe it has been more than a year since my last post. However, it feels about right seeing as how much has happened the past year. Just after my last post, I asked Janelle to marry me and the wedding quickly took shape as we wedded just a month later on Dec. 24, 2006. After that we started looking for a house and found one as we moved in March '07. I started working 5-days a week, instead of the desireable 4-day schedule, at the end of the summer and have finally been able to complete the second issue of the Banquet and now find myself at a comfortable place with the yurt.

After much deliberation, I found an upholsterer, story to be told in person, in town to help sew the large pieces of the "lid". I wrapped the wall cover and sized up the top the day before it started snowing. Perfect timing. I plan on insulating it at some point but with the snow, I might wait a bit. The canvas along the wall is kept a few inches off the ground to resist rot and mildew. After lining the floor with a tarp, I will wrap the edge under the wall and up under the canvas to close the gap at the base.

It's pretty exciting to see it take shape. I am reminded of why I got started so long ago. I also feel eager to try building a second one, a little bigger, as I anticipate putting one up for sale. For now, we'll enjoy this weekend yurt and see how it works this winter. You should come over for a soak in the sauna once I figure out how to convert it! ;)
Happy Holidays! Happy Winter! Happy Yurting!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the partner that has shared in your crazy busy year I am so very proud of your drive to complete this project. It has turned out beautifully! . I look out the window, watch the willow leaves fall on the yurt and smile thinking of our dreams of living in one someday with the gorgeous Kalispell view and our sweet little family. . . it'll happen (or a variation of it) all because you are an amazingly talented, driven, artistic soul. I love you. J

December 03, 2007 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh, another post from yurtman! And a great photo...

I look forward to a personal tour of the interior...

dad

December 28, 2007 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home