Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Changes

So, a couple weeks ago we had a good dump of snow over three days. It started with a hefty 4 inches. The snow didn't concern me, but the wind storm the night before did. The cover had flown off the yurt during the wind storm and I learned the real meaning behind the old Mongolian proverb, "Look up the weather forecast when there's no cover on your yurt." The yurt was filled with snow the next morning. To make a long post short, I decided to turn the horror into a good thing by changing my plans for the future of the yurt. I bought a roll of heavy-duty transparent plastic and some cheap rope. The yurt has been turned into a rotund greenhouse. We have three raised beds that will need starter plants in the spring and we plan on using the greenhouse to grow the starters. For now, the canvas cover will stay dry in the basement until I can finish the sewing job and water proofing. I must admit, I almost took the whole thing down for the rest of the winter but the new cover works well as it covers better than the canvas and wicks the snow better as well. So that's that. There's there. Until next time. Over and out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to tasting the tomatoes next spring.

signed,
G. Khan

January 30, 2008 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home